The HPAC is charged with the following responsibilities:
- Informing the President and Senior Management of the hazards related to the use of nuclear substances and radiation devices and to regulate their use as requested by the President.
- Establishing and continually reviewing an adequate radiation safety program at McMaster University.
- Create and implement policies, programs and systems required to establish, maintain and verify the University’s compliance with radiation protection regulations promulgated by federal, provincial and municipal authorities.
- Granting authorizations and restricting use of nuclear substances and radiation devices within the limits prescribed in the applicable CNSC licenses for the work, taking into consideration the risks and benefits to the University of the work.
- Suspending, if necessary, the use at McMaster University of radioactive material or equipment that emits ionizing radiation, regardless of the source of authorization.
- Providing radiation protection services on a contractual basis at McMaster University locations to non-McMaster University organizations. Such organizations must obtain a separate CNSC license specifying that they will conform to this radiation safety program and the requirements of the HPAC.
Note: The HPAC has no authority with respect to patient safety in medical diagnostic or therapeutic procedures
The Health Physics Advisory Committee includes members who are committed to radiation safety at McMaster University. This includes not only some Health Physics staff members, but also other individuals within the Faculty of Science.
|Name||Representative of||Voting Member*|
|Byun, Soo Hyun||Physics & Astronomy||Yes|
|Farrell, Tom||Interdisciplinary Science||Yes|
|Heysel, Chris||Director, Nuclear Facilities & Operations||Yes|
|Igdoura, Suleiman||Biology, Pathology & Molecular Medicine||Yes|
|MacDonald, Maureen||Faculty of Science||No|
|McNeill, Fiona||Physics & Astronomy||Yes|
|Mossman, Karen||VP Research||No|
|Tucker, David||VP Research||Yes|
|Sheffield, William||Pathology & Molecular Medicine||Yes|
|Stark, Jim||External Appointment||Yes|
|Valliant, John (Chair)||Chemistry & Chemical Biology||Yes|
|Werstuck, Geoff||Medicine (TaARI), Biochemistry & Biomedical Science||Yes|
|Zic, Josip||Health Physics||No|
Terms of Reference
Protected: Meeting Minutes
The Health Physics Advisory Committee holds meetings when necessary, at least twice a year.